We collect and store all personal information related to your App profile, which you voluntarily give us upon sign-up.
The Application obtains the information you provide when you connect to your Google Account. This connection to Google with us is optional. However, please keep in mind that you may not be able to use some of the features offered by the Application unless you register with us.
When you connect your Google Account and use the Application, you generally provide your:
- Email address
- Password and other registration information
For teachers, we additionally collect:
- Your school
- Your teaching grade
- The subject you teach
- The number of classes you teach
Automatically Collected Information
- The amount of times the Application is opened
- The amount of unique users opening the Application it every day
- IP address
- Demographic location
- Time zone
- Photos uploaded
*Refer to the “Data Usage” section for how we use your data.
Does the Application collect precise real-time location information of the device?
This Application does not collect precise information about the location of your mobile device.
Do third parties see and/or have access to information obtained by the Application?
Only aggregated, anonymized data is periodically transmitted to external services to help us improve the Application and our service. We will share your information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this privacy statement.
We may disclose User Provided and Automatically Collected Information:
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request
- with our trusted services providers who work on our behalf, do not have an independent use of the information we disclose to them, and have agreed to adhere to the rules set forth in this privacy statement
If Knowt is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of this information, as well as any choices you may have regarding this information.
We use the data we collect for the following purposes:
Operating our business.
We use the data we collect to operate our business, including providing and improving our services. Specifically:
- To fulfill transactions that you request
- To diagnose and fix problems with our Application
- For analytical purposes to better understand how you use our Application, which allows us to continually improve and expand Knowt
Communicating with you
We use the data we collect so we can better communicate with you, including responding to you requests or inquiries. Specifically:
- To respond to your request if you contact us with a question or concern
- To provide information about your account, your use of the Application or other transactions that
- To deliver news and updates as per your subscriptions, alerts, and other preferences.
We do not use the data we collect for commercial purposes
What are my opt-out rights?
You can stop all collection of information by the Application easily by uninstalling the Application. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network. You can also request to opt-out via email, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Retention Policy, Managing Your Information
We will retain User-Provided data for as long as you use the Application and for a reasonable time thereafter. We will retain Automatically Collected information for up to one month and thereafter may store it in aggregate. If you’d like us to delete User Provided Data that you have provided via the Application, please contact us at email@example.com and we will respond in a reasonable time. Please note that some or all of the User-Provided Data may be required in order for the Application to function properly.
*We do not use the Application to knowingly solicit data from or market to children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete such information from our files within a reasonable time.
*Refer to the “Data Usage” section for how we use your data.
We are concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your information. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect information we process and maintain. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our Application. *Please be aware that, although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches.
*Refer to the “Breach Response Plan” section for how we respond to breaches
Breach Response Plan
What is a Breach?
We define a breach as any theft or intrusion of electronic data files containing sensitive information about our users, as well as any theft of sensitive company information.
The response team will consist of the CEO and Senior Engineers.
*Once an incident is reported to us, the Response Team will determine whether that incident requires a breach response according to this Breach Response Plan.
We will follow the steps outlined below when responding to a breach:
- The response team will work to determine how the breach occurred.
- The Response Team will perform initial information gathering, gathering the name and contact information of the reporting individual (if applicable) and the circumstances of the incident to include involved parties.
- The Response Team will communicate breach information to the rest of the team members (as required) as well as to the affected individual (if applicable).
- The response team may determine the need to conduct containment activities to stop additional information from being lost or disclosed or to reduce the number of persons to whom the information may reach.
- The Response Team may take steps to attempt having lost/stolen/inappropriately disclosed information returned or destroyed.
- The Response Team will document all actions taken regarding an incident to include all steps taken in accordance with this plan. They will attempt to establish this documentation as soon as possible. This documentation will provide a thorough, complete account of an incident to fulfill reporting requirements to government agencies, as well as serve as legal documentation. All documentation related to privacy/security incidents will be maintained and kept confidential.
- As more information is gathered, the Response Team will assess each privacy/security incident to determine appropriate handling, which may involve individuals in our Web, Mobile, Backend, Algorithm, and Business teams.
- If needed, disciplinary actions will be taken against any team member involved in the incident and member training may be implemented.
- Knowt will fulfill all reporting requirements under state and federal law.
10. Before a breach case file is closed, Knowt will have met the goals of breach response. To recap, those goals are to:
*Refer to the “What is a Breach” section for what we define as a breach
If you have any questions regarding privacy while using the Application, or have questions about our practices, please contact us via email at email@example.com.