Biology: study of living things and their interactions with the environment
Fields within Biology?
1) Zoology: study of animals
2) Botany: study of plants.
3) Ecology: study of living things in their environment
4) Microbiology: study of Microscopic organisms
5) Biochemistry: study of chemical seactions in organisms
6) Anatomy and Physiology: study of the human body
-interactions between living things are called phenomena which are observable events.
-Organic molecules are the building blocks of life on Earth
Characteristic that describe Science?
1) Observable: attempt to explain natural phenomena by analysing & observing the world
2) Testable: must be able to answer testable questions, investigations must produce empirical evidence to be considered Science
3) Replicable: empirical evidence can be replicated and verified by other scientists
4) Reliable: the more an experiment is repeated, the more reliable it becomes; evidence without bias also increases its reliability.
5) Flexible: science is ever changing as new info is discovered, new evidence can add to creat evidence, allowing scientists to improve theories
-Art and philosophy are NOT Science
-Science does not answer questions about the meaning of life
- Pseudoscience: a theory, methodology, or practice that is considered to be without scientific foundation " fake science” (can not be proven reliable from experimentation) examples: astronomy, phrenology, or luck
-the Scientific Method is used as a part of an investigation, but it is an oversimplification of what really happens
-Scientific method: ask a question, research, form a hypothesis, perform an experiment, analyse data, and the conclusion.
Variable: event, condition, or factor that can be changed or controlled in order to study or test a hypothesis
1) Independent variable: one factor that the scientist chooses to change in order to focus on the result caused by the change
2) Dependent Variable: the factors that changes in response to the independent variable
3) Controlled Variable: factors the scientist chooses to keep constant( doesn't change)
-Scientific Law: descriptions of what happens in the natural world, based on data
- Scientific Theory: broad explanations of the natural world; ore, ever changing can not become laws.