What are the major events in RBC destruction?
1) squeezing through the capillaries of active tissue damages red blood cells
2) macrophages in the liver & spleen phagocytize damaged red blood cells
3) hemoglobin from the red blood cells is decomposed into heme and globin
4) heme is decomposed into iron and biliverdin (bile pigment)
5) iron is made available for reuse in the synthesis of new hemoglobin or is stored in the liver as ferritin
6) some biliverdin is converted into bilirubin
7) biliverdin and bilirubin are excreted in bile as bile pigments